If you'd like to create doors that other people can license, please visit the Creating Doors To License article.
The Door Licensing system allows business owners to direct members to their business from high traffic public regions. This is a great way to increase the flow of members to revenue generating regions as well as increase brand visibility.
With the exception of the Zaby Lobby, Bareback Bordello, and a couple doors on RLC Street, all Utherverse-owned doors require that you have a Business License to bid on them. A Business License costs 750-1000 Rays per year, depending on your payment plan. Your license will grant you the ability to bid on public doors, give you access to exclusive business properties, as well as provide the option to display a “UV_Business” badge above your avatar in-world. You can learn more about the Business Licensing here: http://utherverse.com/business/licenses.shtml
Doors that only require a VIP or UVIP account are available in the Zaby Lobby, and there are a few on RLC Street, near Bareback Bordello.
Bareback Bordello hosts several doors that are available only to WGs. Learn more about the WG Program in the What Are RLC Working Girls/Guys article.
Utherverse doors aren’t all equal! Doors that receive higher traffic or are attached to larger frontage will have higher license fees. Make sure you’ve calculated how much you’re willing to spend for how much traffic and visual space. Keep in mind as well that if you wish to have your license automatically renew at the end of your license period, you will need to have the correct amount of Rays in your account on the renewal date.
Choosing a Door
Utherverse public doors can be found in the following regions:
3D Tunes: vww://utherverse.vww/@48472/street
RLC Alley: vww://utherverse.vww/alley
Gay Alley: vww://utherverse.vww/alley_g
Rude Alley: vww://utherverse.vww/rudevirtual/alley
Rude Street: vww://utherverse.vww/rudevirtual/street
RLC Street: vww://utherverse.vww/street
Virtual Vancouver (no adult content): vww://utherverse.vww/vancouverstreet
Weddings Street: vww://utherverse.vww/weddings
Zaby Lobby*: vww://utherverse.vww/zaby01
Bareback Bordello**: vww://utherverse.vww/bordello
*The main floor doors of the Zaby Lobby require a Business License. All the other Zaby Lobby doors only require a VIP membership.
**All doors in Bareback Bordello require the WG role to license. A Business License is not required.
Traffic and Storefront Deco
Make sure the door you select will bring enough traffic to be worth the cost of licensing. Visit the various public regions at different times of day to see how many people are visiting and when. You may wish to also pay attention to where people congregate in the region, as well as which entrances and exits they are using. If you find one part of the region is always empty, doors in that area may be cheaper, but you'll want to set up an eye-catching storefront to draw people's attention.
You can apply a custom texture to your door at any time from your Social Center page. Keeping this in mind, you can decide if you need a large frontage to decorate or if you’re happy with a small space. If your door is located in a very high traffic area that people congregate in, your door’s custom texture may be all you need to attract visitors. If your door is in a less populated portion of the region, you might do better with lots of space to put up signage to draw people in.
Adding eye-catching visuals around your door can help attract visitors and increase awareness of your brand. Decorators can request permission to decorate in public regions, and can work with you to create a display that represents your brand and appeals to the public. To find a Decorator or Licensed Decorator, visit the Decorator Directory. Licensed Decorators have additional training and can access public regions without having to request permission first. Make sure your decorator opens a ticket with the Business Department when they're done, to let us know when their deco can be published.
Finding the right balance of traffic, visual space and fees is sometimes a matter of trial and error. You may wish to start out with one or two short-term licenses to test different regions and settings before committing to a long-term renewing license. With a little patience and research, you can find the combination that brings the most benefit to your business!
Placing a Bid
Once you’ve chosen an available door, it’s time to place a bid!
Available doors will have a sign that says ‘INSTANT DOOR LICENSING’ or ‘DOOR AUCTION In progress’. Click the sign to access the door menu, which shows the following:
- The name of the door: If you're licensing multiple doors, knowing the name of each door will make them easy to manage
- The license fee and duration: Doors come in a variety of prices, and may have license periods of anywhere from a day to a year
- The time left before the auction ends: If the door is up for auction, there will probably be a long enough auction period to let multiple people enter bids. IF the door has a fixed price, this time will be shorter so the first offer can be accepted.
- The bid entry form: where you bid!
- Click on the ‘INSTANT DOOR LICENSING’ or ‘DOOR AUCTION In progress’ sign to get started
- Enter the VWW link for your region. Please note that you may only submit regions you own
- Enter the URL of the image you’d like to use on your door (optional, and you can change this later)
- Check the box to agree with the Terms of Service
- Click ‘Place bid’ to enter your bid
Once you’ve entered your bid, the license fee will be placed in escrow. This means that the funds will be removed from your account and placed in holding until the bid is either accepted or rejected. If your bid is accepted, the funds will go to the license fee and the door will become yours. If your bid is rejected, the funds will be returned to your account automatically.
You can view your licensed doors by visiting your Social Center page and clicking the following tabs: Property>Doors>Licensed Doors
Different doors may be set up on different bid types. The following are the bid types most commonly used on public doors:
- Fixed Price (automatic): This is the most common bid type on Utherverse doors. These doors have a set price with no option to bid higher or lower. The door is automatically licensed to the first bidder.
- Fixed Price (moderated): These doors have a set price with no option to bid higher or lower. Bids by multiple members can be collected, but only one member will win the license. Bids are assessed and a winner is selected by staff.
- Auction: These doors have a set starting price. Bids are entered by increasing the amount of Rays offered. The highest bid will be accepted automatically when the auction period ends.
Editing Door Settings
Your licensed doors can be found by visiting your Social Center page and clicking the following tabs: Property>Doors>Licensed Doors. Click ‘Manage’ to edit a door’s settings.
- To change the door’s custom texture, simply paste the image link in the ‘Door Texture’ box then click ‘Update’
- To cancel a recurring license, click ‘Cancel’ next to your license’s expiry date. Your door will remain licensed to you until the license’s expiry date, at which point the door will become available for bidding again.