You can share or sell your own avatar customizations such as clothing, skins, tattoos, makeup, and accessories!
You may have noticed that there are two Clothing tabs. The one in the upper-right is for buying and trying on avatar customization objects, such as clothing and skins. The lower tab is for uploading and managing customization objects.
Before you begin, you may want to download the Designer Kit and Texture Pack, which will provide you with useful meshes, UV maps, and textures to get you started. You can find the latest versions of these packs in the My Outfits tab of your lower Clothing Tab. These are large files that have been saved as .rar archives, so you will need a tool to extract them, such as 7-Zip or Microsoft's RAR Opener.
Now that you have the necessary files, you will need a way to edit them. You can keep it as basic as using a simple image editor to modify the texture files, or you can use a 3D modelling program to edit them with a live preview. If you don't want to spend money, there are free options for both type of software, so check google and reviews to find one that works for you.
This member-created forum post has a ton of helpful links and discussion about designer textures
File Type & Size
Most textures will have to be saved as a .PNG file to be uploaded to the system.
This member-created forum post talks a bit about texture size, formats, and memory.
Uploading & Selling Items
Once your item is ready, you can upload it, then choose to either sell it or keep it private. You can wear and gift items that you create whether you list them for sale or not.
To upload an item:
- Navigate to the Create Outfit sub-tab, from your lower clothing tab
- Select which style of avatar your item is for (most people use New Style, but some prefer Legacy). Please note that meshes (and therefor textures) for one type will not work on the other.
- Use the drop-down menus to select the object type and detials
- Gender: Male items will not work for female avatars. If you want to create an item for both a Male and Transgender Male (or F and TF), you will have to upload them separately, but can reuse the same textures
- Category and Model: Category is usually the general type of item, where model is what mesh your texture is made for. For example, under female bags there are meshes for a backpack, purse, and messenger bag
- Layer and Decal: These options help you decide whether this item is applied to the skin, under all clothing, can be taken off for sex, etc.
- Use the Add Texture button to select your texture.
- If you've already uploaded the texture but are re-using it for an outfit, select it from the drop-down menu
- If you're uploading a new texture, select a file from your computer using the Browse button. Then, enter a name in the box - it doesn't have to match the filename of the texture you're uploading.
- You can now either add more textures (if you want to create a layered outfit, or an outfit using multiple items (like a shirt and pants) or
- Publish Outfit to save your item. This does not list your item for sale - you can do that in the next step, which is editing the item's properties
To replace a texture you can use the REPLACE link underneath the texture image in the "Items in the outfit" box. Replacing a texture is free, and replaces the texture itself, not just the copy applied to your current item. If you've created multiple items with this texture, they will all be affected. If you've already hit Publish Outfit, you can just use the Back button at the bottom of the page to access this page again. Do not use your browser's back button.
To edit item properties and/or list and item for sale:
There are two ways to access this menu:
- Automatically, when you click Publish Outfit after uploading a new outfit or
- By clicking the Properties button next to an item you've uploaded in the My Outfits tab of your lower Clothing tab
Here's what everything does:
- Outfit Information is where you can edit the name and description for your outifit. If you choose to list the outfit for sale, potential buyers will see this information
- Test Outifit On Avatar allows you to preview the item in the virtual world - just make sure you are logged in to RLC first. Nobody else will be able to see the items when you try them on
- Categories allows you to select which category your outfit will be listed under. If you're selling the outfit, this is important, as listing it under the right category will show it to more buyers who are looking for that type of item
- Outfit Screenshots is where you can upload an image of your item. This is important if you're selling your item, so people can get an idea of whether or not they'll like it. It's even useful if you're keeping the item private, just so you can see what it is at a glance
- Outfit Purchase Settingsallows you to set
- Update Mode: if you make changes to your item, do you want the update to be applied to copies that have already been purchased, or only to new purchases of the outfit?
- Price: This sets the price of the outfit. You can change this later, and any new copies of that outfit sold will be sold at the new price
- Limit # of purchases: Leaving this at 0 will make the item unlimited; copies will continue to sold and will never run out. Setting any other number will unlist the item when the limit is reached. So if you only want to sell 10 copies, put in the number 10 and the item will no longer be available to purchase (but will still show in the mall). If you want to remove an item completely from the mall, uncheck the 'Purchasable" box to remove it
- Available On: Lets you select a date to release the item automatically. For example, if you create a Halloween item, you may want to set it to release in October, when people are searching for outfits for that holiday
- Purchasable: Checking this box will list your item for sale in the mall. You can uncheck it later to unlist it.
- Show before available date: Lists your item in the mall but won't let anyone actually purchase it until the "Available on" date
- Back takes you back to the Upload Outfit page, where you can replace the item texture(s) and edit anything else that needs editing. This is only available if you accessed the Item Properties menu by clicking Publish Outfit. If you accessed it from your Created Outfits page, you cannot access the Upload Outfit page again.
- Save Changes saves your changes!
Managing Created Items
You can manage items you've created from the lower Clothing tab
View a list of created items
From the My Outfits sub-tab, scroll down or minimize the My Purchased Clothing list to see your My Designed Clothing list (you may have to click the heading to maximize it)
From this menu you can
- Edit whether or not an item is for sale and listed
- Access the item's Properties menu to edit them
- Send the item as a gift
- Delete the item. This is permanent so make sure you're really sure. Deleting an item will not remove it from the inventory of anyone it has already been sold or gifted to, but will remove it from the mall and from your list of designed clothing.
View Sales History
You can view a list of sold items from the Sales History sub-tab. You can also download the list as a CSV file.
Sales history details include:
- Purchase Date: The date and item the item was sold
- Username: Who purchased the item
- Amount: What price the item was sold at
- Purchased/Gift: Whether the purchaser bought the item for themselves or someone else
- Outfit: Which outfit was sold (whatever Title you entered for the outfit)
Wished Items Stats
You can see how many people have added each of your outfits to their wish lists from the Wished Items tab. This list shows the total number of wish lists each outfit has been added to.